Basco® Hairpin Heat Exchangers
A hairpin design is often more thermally efficient than a traditional shell and tube, which results in a lower up-front cost and lower overall weight. Our experienced designers and engineers can meet any custom cooling requirement.
- Ideal for applications that require high thermal performance and a compact footprint
- True countercurrent flow allows for a close temperature approach between the shell side and tube side fluids, as well as a temperature cross
- Removable bundles are available in two closure options, separated or common, for required cleaning on both the shell and tube sides
- Non-removable bundles are the cost-effective option when a fixed tubesheet design is feasible
- Wide temperature differentials are handled without an expansion joint
- Ease of maintenance with a long radius U-bend
- All connections are at one end of the heat exchanger
- Sizes up to 60 in. (150 cm) in diameter and 480 in. (1200 cm) in length
- Materials include carbon steel, 300 series stainless steel, Duplex stainless steel, copper alloy, chrome-moly alloys, Hastelloy, Inconel, Monel, 254 SMO, alloy clad/weld overlay
- Designed and fabricated per ASME, TEMA, CRN, PED, CML
Removable Bundle Types.
Separated Closure Double Pipe: Type SCDP
- Employs the industry’s most widely used separated head features
- Shell side and tube side closures are separately bolted through, ideal for applications involving wide temperature or pressure differences between the shell and tube side fluids
- In cyclic service, separately gasketed closures are more leak resistant compared to shell and tube designs
- Separate shell and tube side seal configuration. This makes the tube bundle easy to remove, clean and replace.
- Well suited for large imbalance of flow on shellside
- Long fins are used to achieve high thermal performance with minimal pressure drop
Common Closure Hairpin: Type CC
- Single bolted closure design. Ideal for applications involving low design temperature or pressure differences between the shell and tube side fluids
- Enjoys the maintenance advantages of a Separated Closure Hairpin (Type SC)
- The center ring keeps the shell gasket seated during the removal of the tube head for inspection or service
Non-Removable Bundle Types.
All-Welded Hairpin: Type AW
- More cost effective design when removable bundle is not required
- Fixed tubesheet design
Jacketed Pipe: Type JP
- Most economical solution for any heat transfer application
- Fixed tubesheet design